Did you know that smartphones can affect a person’s overall health?
The screens of our gadgets emit what is called the “blue light.” During the day, this light keeps us awake and alert as it suppresses melatonin (sleep hormone) secretion in the brain. However, at night, this same light becomes harmful as it disrupts the body’s internal alarm clock and delays sleep which can make us irritable and moody the next day. Over exposure can also lead to eye strain.
Here are some objects that emit the blue light:
- Flat screen TV
- Compact fluorescent lamps
- LED light bulbs
- Anything with LED (Light-emitting diode)
With these facts in mind, you might want to reconsider how much time you spend using your computer or smartphone. Here are some tips that can help you deflect the harmful effects of the blue light.
- Download apps or programs for your electronic gadgets that can automatically dim or brighten your screen display. There are also apps that can emit blue light or adjust your computer/smartphone screen light and color in line with the sunrise and sunset times in your area.
- Rest your eye muscles once in a while. Always remember the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, take a break and look at an approximate of 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Never forget to blink! Not blinking enough can cause your eyes to dry and become irritated.
- Limit your screen time to two hours then take a break to do something else. This applies even to your late-night net surfing and your children’s TV time.
- Change your computer’s background color to cool gray instead of white. The text size must also be readable enough for you to read it without squinting or moving close to the screen.
- Reduce glare. Turn down the brightness of your screen or use an anti-glare screen filter.
- Use dim red or amber lights in the evening before you go to sleep as they have the least power to suppress melatonin secretion.
- Avoid staring at your screen 2 hours before you go to bed.
Reference: Return2Health. (2016, June 23). How Blue Light from Your Electronic Gadgets Harms Your Health. Retrieved from http://www.return2health.net/articles/blue-light/.