Why do menstrual cramps occur? Cramps happen because the uterus contracts to expel its lining. During one’s period, the contractions inhibit blood flow to the lining of the uterus which cause pain and inflammation. But, do you know that you can lessen the pain once Aunt Flo comes for her monthly visit? Get rid of your menstrual pain by following these five easy steps.
- Apply heat to your abdominal area.
- Lie down and place a heating pad on your lower stomach. Through this, it will help ease the pressure and pain that menstrual cramps cause.
- Take a pain medication.
- According to Mayo Clinic, one should choose a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) like ibuprofen or naproxen to block the factors that contribute to cramps.
- Do yoga poses.
- Through practicing proper yoga poses, it will help and contribute in promoting relaxation to one’s abdominal muscles.
- This will properly distribute oxygen throughout one’s body (including the abdominal muscles).
- Lessen dairy product intake.
- Eliminating milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream during one’s period will lessen the cramping.
Reference: Ipatenco, S. (2013, August 16). How to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps Fast. Livestrong. Retrieved from http://www.livestrong.com/article/269800-how-to-get-rid-of-menstrual-cramps-fast/.