Any type of eating disorder is illustrated by several irregular eating patterns. This will result in different health issues which may eventually lead to one’s death. There are ways to prevent and cure eating disorders depending on the nature and severity for each individual. Professional help is needed when dealing with any type of eating disorder.
For patients who wish to undergo proper treatment for their eating disorders, here’s a little preview of the different types of treatment program options you may consider.
- Nutritional Counseling
- Changing the patient’s perception about healthy eating is a crucial step in nutritional counseling treatment. This treatment option will be beneficial for underweight and overweight patients. The councilor will provide a diet plan that will help the patient to maintain a healthy weight.
- This will help both the patient and the councilor to determine the underlying reasons to what may be the cause of the eating disorder. Psychotherapy tackles ways on how to cope up with stress and different problem-solving techniques. This will also address the present mental illness such as depression and anxiety. It will also improve the bond among the patients into their personal relationships.
- Medically Assisted Treatment
- There are situations wherein the patient is extremely underweight (Anorexia Nervosa) that their case is life threatening for they suffer from low blood pressure, anemia and organ failure. Medical attention is highly needed for such condition. Meanwhile, some patients are overweight or obese that they have developed diabetes or high blood pressure. Evaluation and treatment assisted by a medical doctor is essential for this type of treatment.
- Eating Disorder Centers
- There are rehabilitation centers and specialized clinics that handle and treat eating disorders. Doctors and councilors will help patients by controlling the environment inside the facility that will benefit the patient for faster recovery. The patients will be closely monitored and there will be assistants to address every aspect of the disease. Being in an environment where patients share the same struggle as them may help them to cope up with it.
- Prescribed and Over-the-Counter Medications
- Diet pills and teas can be helpful in treating eating disorder specifically binge-eating. This will help the patient to lose weight. However, precautions must be followed since abuse of these drugs can cause health issues like kidney and heart failures, stroke, and rapid heartbeat.
Bear in mind that patients need support as well, from their family and friends. It will be essential for the success of the treatment.
Reference: PyschGuides. Eating Disorder Treatment Program Options. Retrieved from http://www.psychguides.com/guides/eating-disorder-treatment-program-options/. ; Eating Disorder Hope. Eating Disorders: Causes, Symptoms, Signs & Treatment Help. Retrieved from https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/information/eating-disorder.