Your healthy diet doesn’t have to be boring! Shakes and smoothies can be elixirs for a good heart health. Boost your heart health by trying one of these awesome smoothie recipes.
Directions: You just need ice, one of these recipe combinations, and a blender to make your own super food smoothie.
A. “Pina Colada Splash” – (Pineapple-Banana Smoothie)
- The Pina Colada Splash is as refreshing as it sounds and works great to replenish you after your day activities. It also has just about everything you need to help prevent heart disease.
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 whole banana
- 1-2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup spinach
- Handful of ice
- Heart Health Benefits
- Pineapple is high in vitamin C. Just like other citrus fruits, it lowers the risk of having a heart disease.
- Coconut Milk is rich in lauric acid that raises good HDL cholesterol and lowering the ratio of LDL to HDL, this will boost your heart health.
- Banana and Spinach both contain potassium and magnesium that can help reduce one’s blood pressure.
B. “Wild Blueberry Twist” – (Blueberry-Avocado Smoothie)
- A delicious cleansing smoothie. If you are fond of always trying something new, then this smoothie is the perfect match for you.
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I used the refrigerated kind)
- 1 teaspoon of honey (less if you don't like really sweet)
- Optional: Sprinkle with hemp hearts or chia seeds
- Heart Health Benefits:
- Blueberries are antioxidant powerhouses, rich in phytonutrients to help you keep away from heart disease.
- Avocado is rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids that help lower both your cholesterol and risk of heart disease.
- Chia is high in healthy fats. More Omega-3 fatty acids than salmon. Protects your heart by lowering blood pressure, bad cholesterol, and inflammation.
C. “Chocodelish Nirvana” (Chocolate-Cherry Smoothie)
- Who says chocolate can’t be healthy? You’ll be surprised by its great taste and nutritional punch for your heart.
- 1 cup cherries, pits removed
- 1 medium banana
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach (or other leafy green)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 4 to 6 ounces of filtered water
- ?Heart Health Benefits:
- Cacao is an antioxidant powerhouse! Raw cacao contains more antioxidants by weight than red wine, blueberries, acai, pomegranates, and goji berries combined.
- Cherries provide cardiovascular benefits. It contains anthocyanins, which reduces the risk of high cholesterol, blood pressure and diabetes.
References: Davida. (2014, April 8.) Blueberry Superfood Smoothie. The Healthy Maven. Retrieved from http://www.thehealthymaven.com/2014/04/blueberry-superfood-smoothie.html. ; Mengel, J. (2016, September 26.) Three Smoothies to Boost Your Heart Health. Health Wire. Retrieved from http://www.myhealthwire.com/news/diet-nutrition/774. ; Puig, O. (2016, February 4.) Recipe: Heart-Healthy Chocolate Smoothie with Cacao. Hope 4 Cancer Institute. Retrieved from http://www.hope4cancer.com/information/recipe-heart-healthy-chocolate-smoothie-with-cacao.html. ; McClees, H. (2016, November 5.) Cacao vs. Cocoa: What You Need to Know. One Green Planet. Retrieved from www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/cacao-vs-cocoa-what-you-need-to-know/. ; Dr. Axe. 9 Chia Seeds Benefits + Side Effects. Retrieved from https://draxe.com/chia-seeds-benefits-side-effects/.