Once you get pregnant, you'll be responsible for taking care of yourself and that little bundle of joy. You will be the vessel of your unborn child. A vessel that will be its source of life in a nurturing, healthy environment. This blog is not only applicable to new mothers, but also to every woman who is trying to have another blessing in their life. Here's a list of the dos and don'ts that you may follow when you're expecting.
- Take multivitamins
- Eating a balanced diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals is the best way for your unborn baby to grow healthy. Taking prenatal vitamins will assist the proper development of the fetus and help prevent birth defects. Prenatal vitamins contain folic acid, calcium, and iron that are important for your baby's proper brain development.
- Quit smoking
- Babies born from women who smoke tend to have a lower birth weight and at a greater risk for learning disabilities.
- Sleep a lot
- Get a least seven hours of sleep a day so that fatigue will be preventable.
- Don't drink alcohol
- Alcohol intake can greatly impact your baby's development from its low birth weight, learning disabilities, behavior problems, and lagging patterns several skills.
- Exercise lightly
- Regular exercise may help the mother and baby combat many health issues during the pregnancy. This includes insomnia, muscle pain, excessive weight gain, and mood swings.
- Avoid eating raw meat
- Raw meat may carry several food-borne illness such as listeriosis and toxoplamosis which may result to severe birth defects and even miscarriage.
- Eat seafood
- Investing on seafood may benefit not just the mother, but also the baby. Seafood is loaded with vitamins and minerals, such as heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and iron.
- Avoid unpasteurized milk products
- Calcium is indeed important for growing babies, but mothers must make sure that the calcium the babies consume came from dairy. Raw milk is not recommended for expecting mothers.
- Practice yoga
- Seek out prenatal or gentle yoga classes that are designed to mothers to be.
- Steer clear from the sauna
- Taking a hot bath, entering a sauna room may increase the chances of one to have a miscarriage.
- Get a flu shot
- The vaccine will protect you as well as your developing baby.
- Avoid drinking caffeine
- Caffeine may increase not just your heart rate, but also your baby's heart rate.
- Do gain weight smartly
- One must gain weight in a strategic method for gaining a lot of weight during pregnancy may do more harm to your baby.
- Avoid cleaning your pet's waste
- A miscarriage is possible. Babies who are infected may face serious problems such as seizures and mental disabilities.
The following dos and don'ts are just guides during one's pregnancy. However, it is still highly recommended that one must seek medical advice from a trusted healthcare provider for proper pregnancy care.
Holland, K. (2015, June 17). 17 Pregnancy Do's and Don'ts That May Surprise You. Healthline. Retrieved from http://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/dos-and-donts#2