Most of us have been told that we should consider adding vegetables in our meals especially the green leafy ones because they are very beneficial. You can get its benefits in different ways such as preparing vegetable salad, making soup and blending them to have a smoothie. If you are not into eating pure vegetables, then you can also mix them with some meat, fish, or shrimp. It’s a food that you should never forget to eat on a daily basis.
Here are the top 5 benefits of eating green leafy vegetables:
- Look young – Aside from getting 8 hours of sleep a day to keep you look young and beautiful, you can also look fresh from the nutrients that green leafy vegetables have. Green leafy vegetables such as romaine lettuce, spinach, arugula, and others contain vitamin K which can fight the signs of aging.
- Lose weight – Working out is not enough to burn the stored fats in one’s body. You must also balance and plan a healthy meal for you to achieve your ideal weight. By working out and eating green leafy vegetables, losing weight is possible! It could help you get rid of the nasty fats on your body because of nitrates. In addition, adding green leafy vegetables in your diet will fasten your weight loss in a healthy way.
- Protect skin from sun – Having a radiant and healthy skin is a must. The skin we have reflects on what kind of a person we are. Using sunblock to defend our skin from harmful UV rays works, but do you think it's enough? Choosing green leafy vegetables can provide you extra protection because of its anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Strengthen bones – We all know that we can get calcium from drinking milk, but are you aware that green leafy veggies also have it? Green leafy veggies can be the best source of calcium if you are not into dairy products. Our body needs calcium from the time we were born. During our infant or childhood days, we used to drink milk for strong bone growth. As our age increases and our bones develop in adolescence stage, we still need calcium to maintain the growth of our bones. Lastly, as we get old, our bones also get old and weak which requires us to get plenty of calcium to make them strong.
- Improve eyesight – Our eyes are the most sensitive part of our body. Adult people are prone to cataracts which causes blindness. Studies show that green leafy vegetables such as romaine lettuce, spinach, and arugula are loaded with lutein and zeaxanthin which can reduce the risk of eye diseases. Having a hard time seeing things that are far from you? Then you must start eating green leafy vegetables from now on.
Superlife. (2015, September 4). The King of Alkanization: Dark, leafy greens. Retrieved from http://www.superlife.com/dark-leafy-greens/.
Nearing, M. 6 Health benefits of leafy greens. Retrieved from http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-eats/healthy-eating/6-health-benefits-of-leafy-greens/3/.