Having an eye strain is very common since in this technical era everybody works in front of a computer and different gadgets such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc. Our eyes are affected from staring on these electronic gadgets for a long period. Aside from that, working with a low light and lack of sleep may cause eye strain too.
Eye strain may also lead to a lot of discomfort. Some of the common symptoms are:
- Irritation of the eyes
- Difficulty in focusing
- Blurred vision
- Watery eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Pain in the neck
But, don’t worry for there are ways to reduce eye strain.
- Massage your eyes
- To relax the muscles around your eyes and improve its blood circulation, it is highly recommended to do the following 1-2 times daily:
- Gently massage your eyelids and muscles above the eyebrows with your fingers for about 10-20 seconds.
- Gently massage your lower eyelid against the lower bone for about 10-20 seconds.
- Massage your head’s temple and upper cheek bones too.
- The palming technique is a great way to relax your strained eyes.
- Warm your hands by rubbing them together.
- Place your warm palms over your eyes for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly open your eyes and look around.
- Repeat this whenever you’re free to do it, to make your eyes feel relaxed.
- It is known to help reduce puffy eyes or eye bags, but it is also an effective remedy for eye strain. Cucumber has astringent properties, a substance that causes the contraction of body tissues, typically used to protect the skin.
- Cool a medium-side cucumber in your refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes.
- Cut it into thick slices and put them on your eyes.
- Warm compress
- A warm compress will relax the muscles and reduce the pain you’re experiencing.
- Take a towel, dip it in warm water, and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Lie down comfortably, place the towel on your eyes and just relax for a couple of minutes.
- Do this 1-2 times a day.
- Rose Water
- Rose water reduces eye strain and is also known as a natural relaxer. Plus, it can also rejuvenate the skin around your eyes; reduce dark circles and eye puffiness.
- Just take two cotton balls and dip it in rose water.
- Place the wet cotton balls on your closed eyes.
- Do this twice a day.
The Healthy Archive. Top 10 Home Remedies to Reduce Eye Strain. Retrieved from http://www.thehealthyarchive.info/2014/12/top-10-home-remedies-to-reduce-eye.html. ; Top 10 Home Remedies. How to Reduce Eye Strain. Retrieved from http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/reduce-eye-strain.html.